How can garlic oil promote hair growth? So, what do you do pour garlic oil all over your head and it soaks into your scalp and your hair is just going to grow back? Is there even any scientific evidence to show that garlic oil will help dead hair grow? Let’s find out a little about garlic oil.
- 1 What about garlic oil?
- 1.1 Promoting Hair Growth
- 1.2 Garlic oil not Garlic Essential Oil
- 1.3 Applying Garlic Oil
- 1.4 HomeGrown Garlic Recipes
- 1.5 Method One: Simple Garlic Infusion for Hair
- 1.6 Method 2: Garlic Infusion + Essential Oils for Hair Growth
- 1.7 Method 3: Good Old Fashioned Garlic Oil
- 1.8 Method 4 :Garlic Oil and Coconut Oil
- 1.9 Method 5: Garlic Oil and Honey
- 1.10 Method 6: Pure Stinky Garlic Oil
- 1.11 Method 7: Garlic Oil Infused Hair Shampoo
- 1.12 Method 8: Garlic Oil Olive Oil Style
- 1.13 Method 8: Olive Oil soaked in Garlic
- 1.14 This recipe created by Ina Garten
- 1.15 Method 9: Out of this World Garlic Oil Hair Growth Salve
- 1.16 Method 10: Greater Garlic Oil Natural Remedies
- 1.17 Hair Raising Conclusion
Garlic is a species in the onion genus. Its close relatives are onion, shallot, leek, chive, and the Chinese onion. Garlic has a history of being consumed for thousands of years. This vegetable is native to Central Asia and northeastern Iran as well as being a common seasoning worldwide. The ancient Egyptians used it and it is traditionally used for seasonings and for medicinal uses. The garlic plant grows up to 4 feet tall. (For some of you popeye fans do you remember when he used to sniff a garlic bulb for strength?) Garlic can be grown all year round in mild climates it reproduced asexually( Having no evident sex or sex organs; sexless. Relating to, produced by, or involving reproduction that occurs without the union of male and female gametes, as in binary fission or budding. Lacking interest in or desire for sex.) by planting individual cloves in the ground. Garlic is a fairly hardy plant that are not affected by many pests or diseases. They scare off rabbits and moles
No one wants to lose their hair and it is said that the average person loses from 50 to 100 hairs a day. But when we see bald patches forming on our heads then we tend to became concerned. It is said to lower our self-confidence. Usually aging will cause hair loss but there are other reasons to. Other reasons can be it is a genetic trait passed on from one generation to the other. One case a person reported that they experienced hair loss due to the fact they dyed their hair and used commercial hair shampoos and other commercial hair products. Implying that the chemicals used in the commercial products stimulated the hair loss. It is said that garlic oil not essential garlic oil is what will promote hair growth. The kind of oil that comes from a whole crushed clove and is mixed with a carrier oil and left to infused.
Here are some reasons why garlic oil helps to promote hair growth:
- Garlic contains high levels of the nutrient sulfur. Sulfur is a vital building block for keratin which gives our hair and nails strength and helps them grow. Applying garlic oil to your scalp results in strong, flexible hair.
- Garlic has antifungal properties. One of the most common fungal infections which affects our scalp is dandruff. If your hair is in poor shape as a result of dandruff or another scalp infection, garlic oil might offer a cure. Allicin in garlic was found to be effective against six different fungi.
- Selenium in garlic improves hair health by helping the body use vitamin E. Vitamin E deficiency can cause hair loss
- Garlic contains vitamins C, B6 and B1. Vitamin C boosts collagen in hair and protects against breakage. B6 deficiency can cause hair loss and B1 improves scalp circulation
- Minerals in garlic also improve hair health. Calcium provides a structural component in hair. Copper prevents defective hair growth. Iron aids in hair growth and maintenance. Manganese helps the body utilize other nutrients that are important to hair health.
- Garlic is known as a rubefacient, i.e. stimulates blood circulation. (source) Your blood carries nutrients and oxygen to every part of your body, including your roots and scalp. This means more nourishment for your locks. Much like watering a plant, blood flowing to your scalp leads to healthy hair growth.
- A study determined that garlic oil enhanced the effects of a steroid gel to treat hair loss due to alopecia areata. These factors taken from the following source
Garlic oil can do so many things now it is being said that it can promote hair growth. According to a 2007 study published in “the Indian Journal of Dermatology, Venereology and Leprology” which was conducted by dermatological researchers from Iran’s Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences. They found that 5% topical application of garlic gel to areas where there was identifiable hair loss led to regrowth of hair in those spots, reduction in the size of bald spots, and supposed increase in hair count numbers. The sulfur and selenium contained in the garlic oil fortify the hair shaft structure which means not only will it restore hair loss but it will strengthen the existing hair. The vitamins and minerals found in the garlic oil that naturally condition the hair also will strengthen the hair.
Garlic oil not Garlic Essential Oil
Make sure you apply garlic oil to the scalp and not garlic essential oil. Garlic essential oil is very powerful and may sting the scalp extensively if not diluted. Do not use garlic essential oil as a hair salve.
Applying Garlic Oil
So garlic-infused oil can be a powerful hair growth salve. Apply one tablespoon of garlic oil to the scalp. Massage the oil all the way through the scalp and leave it on the scalp for 20 minutes or longer. Use this application two or three times a week or more if you desire.
HomeGrown Garlic Recipes
These recipes allow you to make your own hair growth salve.
Method One: Simple Garlic Infusion for Hair
- Nothing could be easier than this recipe for garlic oil—simply peel and mince garlic, then soak the garlic in warm (not hot) olive oil.
- Use one tablespoon of olive oil per clove of garlic, and allow the mixture to steep for one to two weeks in the refrigerator before using.
- Strain the minced garlic from the oil and use the oil as outlined above.
- Be sure to store the oil in a dark glass container in the refrigerator in order to extend its lifespan and prevent spoiling.
Method 2: Garlic Infusion + Essential Oils for Hair Growth
This infusion contains more ingredients than the other method, but it offers a multi-faceted approach with an array of benefits due to the extra hair-friendly ingredients. You will need the following:
- 5 tablespoons of garlic infused oil (see method 1 above)
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon of castor oil (which promotes hair growth)
- 1/2 teaspoon of rosemary essential oil (which also promotes hair growth)
- 10 drops of tea tree oil
- 5 drops of peppermint essential oil (which can also promote hair growth)
Mix the garlic infused oil with the remaining ingredients and shake well. Store in the refrigerator to keep the oil from spoiling.
Method 3: Good Old Fashioned Garlic Oil
- Peel and mince some garlic cloves and mix with a carrier oil such as olive or coconut oil. The ratio should be 1 clove to 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Heat the mixture gently and then put it in a sealed jar in a dark place for at least a week.
- When you’re ready to use it, strain out the minced garlic pieces
Method 4 :Garlic Oil and Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is really in fashion in the health and nutrition world nowadays – and for good reason. It has amazing moisturising powers, and for this reason it’s replaced most of the creams and lotions in my bathroom cabinet.
- To make a garlic and coconut oil hair treatment, combine garlic oil and coconut oil in a 1:1 mixture. If you live in a colder climate, you will need to melt the coconut oil first by putting the jar in a bowl of hot water for a few minutes.
- Massage the mix vigorously into the scalp, cover with a shower cap and let it sit for 20 minute
- You’ll need to wash your hair with shampoo at least twice to get the oil out completely, especially if you are prone to greasy hair.
- Repeat twice a week
Method 5: Garlic Oil and Honey
Honey is another wonderful natural moisturiser, and some varieties have strong healing and antibacterial powers too. If you don’t mind spending a bit more money, I recommend Manuka honey. The benefits are worth the price tag.
- Mix one tablespoon of garlic oil with one tablespoon of honey.
- Apply to the scalp only, cover with a shower cap and leave for 20 minutes
- Rinse the hair
- Repeat twice a week
Honey is said to be a natural stimulant for hair regrowth.
Method 6: Pure Stinky Garlic Oil
If you can tolerate the smell, undiluted garlic oil is the way to go. Don’t worry, if you wash it out thoroughly with scented shampoo nobody will be any the wiser.
- Massage 2 tablespoons of garlic oil into the scalp
- Cover with a shower cap and allow to sit for 20 minutes
- Wash out with shampoo
- Repeat once a week
Pure garlic oil will make your head smell like a clove of garlic. You probably do not want to go out in public without washing th garlic oil smell out of your hair. If you are being warned here that the smell is so strong you may not be able to tolerate it. How do you think other people will react to the strong garlic smell emanating from your hair? Simply wash the garlic oil out of the hair and no one will ever notice the difference.
Method 7: Garlic Oil Infused Hair Shampoo
This can be a hair tonic growth booster in between any other garlic oil treatments you are using. Be careful with this one though because if already have oily hair this treatment will only compound the problem.
- For an extra boost in between treatments, try adding a tablespoon or two of garlic oil into your shampoo.
- However it’s not recommended if you’re prone to greasy hair.
Warning: Before you try these or any garlic oil hair growth remedies to a patch test somewhere on the scalp. If you apply the garlic oil treatments and you find that you are still losing hair consult the doctor. This could mean you have a health issue somewhere in your body that is causing your hair to fall out. Never apply garlic oil to broken skin you will regret it. It will irritate the injured area immensely.
Method 8: Garlic Oil Olive Oil Style
- 1 head garlic
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Smash and peel cloves of garlic.
- Transfer to a medium pot, add olive oil, and heat over medium-low until bubbles form around garlic, 3 minutes.
- Let cook 10 minutes, reducing heat to low if garlic begins to brown.
- Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature, 45 minutes.
Method 8: Olive Oil soaked in Garlic
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- In a small saucepan, bring the garlic and oil to a boil, then turn the heat to low, and cook for 5 minutes, until the garlic is lightly browned.
- Turn off the heat and set aside.
- The garlic will continue to cook.
- Remove the garlic cloves from the oil and slice them.
- Place them in a bowl and pour the oil over them.
Method 9: Out of this World Garlic Oil Hair Growth Salve
- Six to Eight cloves of garlic
- One tablespoon of honey
- Two tea bags of chamomile tea or three tablespoons of loose leaf tea
- One egg yolk
- Juice the garlic. To help combat hair loss, you can make a garlic hair salve. Start off with six to eight cloves of garlic.
- Peel the garlic cloves.
- Use a garlic press to get 1 tablespoon (14.8 ml) of garlic juice from these cloves.
- If you don’t get enough juice from these cloves, juice more cloves until you do
- Make a honey mixture. Once you’ve juiced the garlic, set it aside.
- Grab some honey and measure out 1 tablespoon (14.8 ml).
- Mix the honey into the small bowl of garlic juice and put the mixture in the refrigerator.
- Brew chamomile tea. While your mixture chills in the fridge, you need to brew some tea.
- Take two bags of chamomile tea or three tablespoons of loose leaf tea.
- Add it to a pot of water and place it on the stove.
- Let it simmer in 24 ounces of water for 30 minutes.
- Once the tea has brewed for the right amount of time, pour the mixture into a cup.
- If you used loose leaf tea, strain the tea as you do so.
- Finish the salve. Once the tea is done, take the honey and garlic mixture out of the fridge. Mix one egg yolk into the mixture. It may take a minute to get it combined because the honey will be thick and stubborn. Next, add one tablespoon of aloe vera gel and mix together well.
- Use the salve.
- Once all the ingredients are combined, go to a place where you can easily apply it to your hair without making a mess.
- Gently massage the mixture into your scalp, not all of your hair.
- Since the hair grows from the scalp, you want to concentrate the garlic salve here.
- After it is all on your scalp, wrap a clean, cotton towel around your head.
- Leave the mixture on your scalp for 20 minutes.
- Wash your hair. After you’ve waited long enough, wash the mixture out of your hair with baby shampoo or another very gentle shampoo.
- Rinse it out thoroughly. Next, take a second egg yolk and massage that into your scalp.
- Rinse this off with warm water.
- Make sure you get all the egg yolk out of your hair. Do not wash it again, just keep rinsing the yolk out.
- Finish the cycle.
- Once the yolk is out of your hair and off your scalp, you need to use the chamomile tea. Take the cup of tea and pour it over your scalp, rinsing your hair once again with it.
- Do this two to three times a week until hair re-growth begins or shedding stops.
- Repeat the treatment twice a month.
Method 10: Greater Garlic Oil Natural Remedies
- You can also buy garlic infused hair products. Try hair oils such as Dabur Vatika Garlic-enriched Hair Oil and garlic hair masks such as Alter Ego Garlic Mask.
- While there is no direct evidence that eating garlic or taking it as a supplement can help with hair loss, it is reasonable to think that it may. Add garlic to as many foods as you want or take garlic as a supplement to help with hair loss.
- There have been some studies that looked at combining a garlic gel with steroid treatment of extreme hair loss and found that the garlic significantly improved hair growth
Hair Raising Conclusion
As the title suggests this article has been about the proven ability of garlic oil to help with hair loss by regrowing the hair. The reasons why it stimulates actual hair growth in places where was lost has been discussed. A few studies have been mentioned that seem to prove that garlic oil may help with hair loss. Methods to make your own garlic oil for hair loss purposes have also been added. If you are battling hair loss now garlic oil may be for you to help you grow your hair back!