Isn’t it bad enough having sweaty, smelly feet now we are talking itchy feet? How about when you are sitting in a room full of crowded people. Your feet are itching so bad you just want to tear your shoes and socks off and scratch them until the pain stops or they bleed whichever comes first. (Hopefully not the bleeding part) Or you know those time you are laying in bed and you are about to drift off to sleep at last… Then you feet decide it’s time to start acting up so they start itching all over. The only problem is that you are lying down and cannot get to your feet, You can but it means roughing up all the sheets or falling out of bed.
You really don’t want to fall out of bed because the loud thud will wake up your family and the surrounding neighborhood. Ok, so finally you maneuver yourself to itch the set. You itch and the feet are soothed. You get ready to fall asleep again and then your feet start to… Anyway, you get the drift feet itching in bed or anywhere for that matter can really be awkward and a nuisance to solve the problem. What if you could apply something to your feet and stop the itching all together? This would be the perfect solution. Well, in this article we will give you some options to overcome itchy feet. How about essential oils?
- Dry skin
- Allergies from environment, clothing, cosmetics, etc.
- Infestations such lice, scabies and ringworm
- Infections such as psoriasis, jock itch, and swimmer’s itch
- Emotional disturbance such as anxiety, stress, and other emotional disorders
- 1 Essential Oils to Stop the Itch
- 2 Lavender Essential Oil
- 3 Eucalyptus Essential Oil
- 4 Peppermint Essential Oil
- 5 Frankincense Essential Oil
- 6 Tea Tree Essential Oil
- 7 Sandalwood Essential Oil
- 8 Palmarosa Essential Oil
- 9 Patchouli Essential Oil
- 10 Niaouli Essential Oil
- 11 Essential Oil Blends for itchy Skin and Pruritis
- 12 Kill the Itch Spray Bottle Blend
- 13 Lavender Vinegar Bath
- 14 Heat Rash (Prickly Heat)
- 15 Heat rash anti-itch spray
- 16 Essential Oil / Rose Water Heat Rash Blend
- 17 Pruritus Anti Itch Wash Blend
- 18 Anti-itch Oil Blend
- 19 More Essential Oils for Itchy Feet
- 20 Chamomile Essential Oil
- 21 Lemon Essential Oil
- 22 Geranium Essential Oil
- 23 Juniper Essential Oil
- 24 Myrrh Essential Oil
- 25 How to use your Essential Oils to Treat a Rash and Relieve Itching
- 26 Essential Oil Soak
- 27 Topical Application:
- 28 Cold Compress Treatment for Itching and Rashes
- 29 Essential Oil for Rashes on Young Children
- 30 Choosing the Right Carrier oil to Mix with the Essential Oil to Apply to Itching Feet
- 31 Conclusion:
Lavender Essential Oil
Surprise! Surprise! Lavender essential oil has powerful anti-inflammatory and antiseptic qualities for the treatment of itchy skin. It reduces swelling, redness and hydrates skin and it reduces dry skin conditions such as rashes and sunburn. It soothes the itchy skin and speeds up the healing process. Another plus if you are sensitive to bug bites carry lavender essential oil with you it is a magnificent insect repellent.
Eucalyptus Essential Oil
Eucalyptus essential oil contains powerful antiseptic properties that protect against bacterial, viral or other types of infections. So, if your feet itch because of infections get out the eucalyptus oil.
Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint essential oil is very versatile and can help soothe itchy feet. Here are some uses;
- A simple way to use peppermint oil for itching is to mix 4 drops of peppermint oil with 2 teaspoons of carrier oil and massage onto the affected area.
- Add several drops of peppermint oil to a bathtub filled with lukewarm water. Soak in this water for half an hour. Pat dry and then apply a moisturizing lotion. Do this once daily.
- Add three or four drops of peppermint oil to one tablespoon of carrier oil like coconut, olive or almond oil. Apply the diluted peppermint oil to the affected skin area. Massage gently so the oil penetrates deep into the skin. Follow this remedy once or twice daily.
Frankincense Essential Oil
This age old oil can be a great overall skin tonic. It works well on mature and oily skin. helps to improve skin tone, smooth and soften wrinkles and balance sebum levels. It also maintains elasticity of the skin. It will keep the skin hydrated so it will not become red, dry, and itchy.
Tea Tree Essential Oil
Tea Tree essential oil contains effective anti-viral, anti-fungal, anti-septic and anti-inflammatory benefits which makes it an effective skin healer. It’s great for itching, cold sores, athlete’s foot, warts, acne, insect bites, blisters, boils, thrush, cystitis and burns. Which are all culprits for itchy feet.
Sandalwood Essential Oil
Sandalwood essential oil is a powerful anti-ager and skin supportive oil. This means it can stop itchy skin quickly. It helps skin retain moisture, calms dilated capillaries and provides relief from inflammation and tension. It is effective in reducing the itch that can attack the feet. Not only does it soothe itchy feet, it also supports acne, rosacea, dry skin, insect bites and scar tissue.
Palmarosa Essential Oil
Palmarosa essential oil has excellent skin care qualities. It is useful for treating eczema, dermatitis, scar tissue, stretch marks and wrinkles. Palmarosa has balancing and hydrating effects on the skin which can eliminate itchy feet.It is very effective on dry skin that is causing itchiness.
Patchouli Essential Oil
Patchouli’s antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and antiseptic qualities make in an excellent choice for skin conditions that cause itchiness. It helps to clear congested skin, prevent infection and eliminate inflammation around blemishes. It helps to restore dry skin as new skin cells are generated.
Niaouli Essential Oil
Niaouli (About Niaouli Essential Oil. This organic niaouli essential oil from Madagascar comes from a relative of Tea Tree. … As a disinfectant, niaouli oil is valuable for helping to clear up skin irritations such as boils, ulcers, cuts and insect bites. Niaouli oil can also be used to help treat oily, dull or acne-prone skin.) essential oil is another well-known skin healing oil. It has skin tonic qualities that make it a great agent for itchy skin and any other skin and joint issue.
Essential Oil Blends for itchy Skin and Pruritis
Pruritus is severe itching of the skin, as a symptom of various ailments.
Kill the Itch Spray Bottle Blend
- 2 ounces witch hazel
- 5 drops lavender
- 2 drops frankincense
- Fill a 2 ounce glass spray bottle with witch hazel
- Add your essential oils to the full bottle
- Shake it up
- Apply wherever and whenever needed for itching
Lavender Vinegar Bath
(Makes enough for about 8 baths)
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 50 drops lavender EO
- Combine vinegar and lavender in an 8 oz glass bottle
- Shake to combine
- Shake well before each use
- Fill tub with warm water
- Once filled add 6 tsp of your lavender vinegar to the tub
- Agitate water to disperse oil
- Soak for 30 minutes or longer if desired
- Massage any floating droplets of oil into your skin
Heat Rash (Prickly Heat)
Heat rash anti-itch spray
- 4 tsp witch hazel hydrosol or filtered water
- 1 tsp vodka
- 40 drops lavender EO
- 35 drops eucalyptus EO
- In a 4 oz glass spray bottle combine your ingredients
- Fill rest of bottle with water and shake to combine
- Shake again before each use
- Spray affected areas and air dry
- Simple Bath Treatment for Heat Rash
- Fill your tub with warm water
- While the tub is filling combine 8 drops of lavender essential oil and 1 cup baking soda in a non-reactive bowl.
- Add mixture to tub and agitate to disperse oil
- Soak for 30 minutes or more
- Keep the rash underwater if possible and massage any floating oil droplets into your rash
- After bathing pat the skin dry (don’t rub)
Essential Oil / Rose Water Heat Rash Blend
- 6 drops of (combined) rose (or tea tree), chamomile and lavender
- 5 tsp rose water
- Add ingredients to a small glass spray bottle
- Shake well
- Spray mixture onto a cotton pad or cotton ball and gently dab the affected areas
Pruritus Anti Itch Wash Blend
- 1 cup witch hazel hydrosol or filtered water
- 1 tsp liquid castile soap or unpasteurized liquid honey
- 40 drops lavender EO
- 35 drops niaouli EO
- In an 8 oz glass bottle combine your ingredients
- Shake to blend
- Before use, shake well again
- Apply to a cotton ball and use on affected area
- Anti Itch Oil Blend
Anti-itch Oil Blend
- 2 tsp grapeseed oil or aloe vera gel
- 3 drops lavender EO
- 2 drops chamomile or bergamot eo
- 1 drop bay laurel or niaouli eo
- In a 1/3 oz (10 mL) glass bottle combine your ingredients
- Mix thoroughly
- Stir well before using
- After bathing, showering or washing use a cotton ball to apply the anti-itch blend to affected areas
Chamomile Essential Oil
This soothing floral essential oil is a good solution for itchy feet. Irritated skin that is dry and itchy will calm down once you apply this essential oil to it. This oil is safe for scalp itch.
Lemon Essential Oil
If you are suffering from itching feet grab some sunny citrus oil. Lemon essential oil soothes inflammation and helps reduce allergic reactions affecting the skin. This healing oil is loaded with anti-fungal, antibacterial, and antiseptic properties that will kill any itch-inducing bacteria on the skin. Lemon essential oil works well on its own but if you want a powerhouse anti-itching essential oil blend then mix lemon with peppermint and lavender oils.
Geranium Essential Oil
If you are suffering from itchy feet from bug bites or you need a nartural bug repelent than thisfloaralessential oil is for you. Mix somewith baking soda and you will have immediate relief from bug bites that cause itching feet. This anti-inflammatory oil calms down irritated skin while its regenerating properties encourage the growth of healthy new skin cells. Geranium essential oil also helps expedite the healing process of wounds and skin irritations.
Juniper Essential Oil
Juniper essential oil is an anti-inflammatory that is effective in treating skin conditions such as psoriasis and eczema. This healing essential oil will help get rid of those dry, itchy patches of skin on the double.
Myrrh Essential Oil
Myrrh essential oil is perfect for skin conditions that lead to dry, chapped, itchy skin. Use myrrh if you’re suffering from eczema or a fungal infection. Hives, which is characterized by itchy, raised, red bumps on the skin is easily treated with myrrh essential oil. It works very well on dry itching skin .
How to use your Essential Oils to Treat a Rash and Relieve Itching
There are different ways to use essential oils to relieve itchy feet. Including redness and rashes that may appear on the feet. It is important to keep the feet clean by bathing them in cool water as much as you can. It is advisable to stay out of the sun especially if you live in a hot, humid area.
Essential Oil Soak
- To make your soak even more soothing and help ease irritation give your bathwater an essential oil boost. Choose the essential oil that works best for you.
- Add five or six drops of your chosen essential oil to the bathwater and soak for at least 20 minutes each day.
- Any combination of the oils listed above will work wonders but don’t worry if you only have one of them; you can happily use the oil at your disposal as a standalone treatment.
- You should always dilute your essential oils with a suitable type of carrier oil before applying it to your skin.
- This may not be necessary with some of the milder essential oils. Some oils like lavender are considered to be milder and are sometimes applied neat but it is always best to veer on the side of caution to eliminate the risk of an adverse reaction.
- If you have never used a particular essential oil before then you would be wise to do a patch test on a small area of skin before going ahead with the proper dose.
Cold Compress Treatment for Itching and Rashes
- A nice cold compress infused with healing essential oils will help soothe itching and irritation and help treat redness and rash. It is very easy to make a cold compress to treat your skin.
- Add a pint or so of very cold refrigerated or iced water to a container and then add four or five drops of your chosen essential oil or oil combination. Next place your towel onto the surface of the water allowing it to soak in thoroughly.
- Remove the towel and wring out the excess water, fold and apply it like a bandage to the affected area of your skin. Hold the compress in place for a minimum of 15 minutes to help soothe your itchiness and reduce the swelling and redness of your rash.
Essential Oil for Rashes on Young Children
- For very young children who are experiencing itchy feet with redness and dry skin a combination of lavender essential oil and baking soda can work wonders.
- For children under two years of age, add 3 drops of lavender essential oil and a tablespoon of virgin coconut oil to a quarter cup of baking soda and mix well.
- Make sure that your child’s skin is completely dry before applying the mixture to the affected area paying extra attention to the folds if the skin. For older children or adults, you can increase the amount of oil and baking soda that you use.
Choosing the Right Carrier oil to Mix with the Essential Oil to Apply to Itching Feet
- You must be careful to dilute the essential oils with carrier oils when treating itchy feet. So your feet will not suffer further irritation. Many of these carrier oils are rich in nutrients, vitamins and fatty acids.
- The right Carrier oil not only helps nourish the skin, but maximize your skin’s ability to absorb the healing abilities of essential oils. To find the right carrier oil for you, consider some of the following:
- Jojoba Oil: If you are suffering from dry skin, this golden oil moisturizes and softens chapped, dry skin.
- Castor Oil: This anti-inflammatory and antibacterial oil soothes chapped skin and provides necessary moisture.
- Avocado Oil: Rich in vitamins, avocado oil helps essential oils blend easily into the skin.
- Macadamia Oil: Macadamia oil contains the compound palmitoleic acid, which mimics oil excreted in young skin. Use this carrier oil if you want to bring moisturized balance to your skin.
- Coconut Oil: Coconut oil is full of fatty acids to moisturize the skin. This nourishing oil also contains antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal properties that will help fight any skin condition causing skin itchiness.
- Aloe Vera Gel: Although not an oil, aloe vera gel is a great carrier. This soothing gel not only heals the skin, but it also brings moisture and brings immediate relief to itching. Keep this gel in the refrigerator for an extra cool healing treat.
Our feet are such a small part of our body but without them we would be absolutely immobilized. (Try walking without feet) It is true that for the most part people will not see our feet but we see them all the time. We want to keep them healthy, clean and free from any type of condition that would make them became dry, flaky, red, and itchy.
It is a common fact that once you develop itching feet they can become very irritation to leave with and you cannot always scratch when you want to. But it’s better not to scratch them because you will just make them a lot worse. The key is to keep them free from any type of itch in the first place. We Discussed above how this can be done. If your feet do became itchy then it is time to select the best essential option for the feet and get rid of that itch.