Ringworm is a contagious itching disease that appears mainly on the feet and the scalp. If you look at another person with ringworm you will get it too! It is caused by fungus that seem to spread easily and like wildfire. It looks like a circular worm on the skin and it forms bald spots on the scalp that are in the shape of a circular worm.
Ringworm looks unsightly on the skin, feet and especially the scalp. It itches like crazy and all you want to do is scratch it until it bleeds and bleeds. But don’t scratch it you will make it worse and spread it around your body. Ringworm’s official name is Dermatophytosis and is a fungal infection of the skin. Like we said above it forms into a red, itchy, circular rash and could cause hair loss. If you catch ringworm your signs will show up on your skin anywhere from four to fourteen days you catch the germ.The sad fact is there are forty different types of fungus that can cause ringworm to affect the human body.
Typically, the fungi that usually cause ringworm are Trichophyton, Microsporum, or Epidermophyton types. Be careful if you are in the habit of using public showers or play contact sports such as football or wrestling.You are a candidate for ringworm if you perspire a lot. Other factors include contact with pets and if you are overweight Animals can get ringworm as well. For instance cats can contract ringworm and one of the places it will show pis as bald spots around the cat’s ears.
Symptoms of Ringworm:
- red, scaly, itchy or raised patches
- patches may be redder on outside edges or resemble a ring
- patches that begin to ooze or develop blister
- bald patches may develop, when the scalp is affected
- nails may thicken, discolour or begin to crack
- Tinea pedis (athlete’s foot) – fungal infection of the feet
- Tinea unguium – fungal infection of the fingernails and toenails, and the nail bed
- Tinea corporis – fungal infection of the arms, legs, and trunk
- Tinea cruris (jock itch) – fungal infection of the groin area
- Tinea manuum – fungal infection of the hands and palm area
- Tinea capitis – fungal infection of the scalp and hair
- Tinea barbae – fungal infestation of facial hair
- Tinea faciei (face fungus) – fungal infection of the face
Now, that we know a little bit more about ringworm can it be treated? Yes, there are many ways to treat it through conventional or natural treatments. We will talk about a natural treatment that consists of using essential oils. So, let us move ahead with how essential oils can treat and get rid of ringworm quickly.
- 1 Lavender Essential Oil
- 2 Oregano Essential Oil for Ringworm and Recipes
- 3 Essential Oils for Scalp Ringworm
- 4 Cassia bark or Cinnamon Essential Oil for Scalp Ringworm:
- 5 Tea tree oil (Melaleuca) for scalp ringworm:
- 6 Essential oils for ringworm in cats:
- 7 Marvelous Myrrh Essential Oil for Ringworm
- 8 Alternate Recipe method for Myrrh
- 9 Ringworm Prevention
- 10 More Essential Oils for Ringworm:
- 11 Neem Essential Oil:
- 12 Lemongrass Essential Oil:
- 13 Peppermint Essential Oil:
- 14 Ringworm Recipes:
- 15 Recipe One:
- 16 Recipe Two:
- 17 Conclusion:
It is effective for treating such nasty skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis. It is one of the oils that has above average antimicrobial properties which fight off microbes from entering the body. It has good antiseptic powers as well. Its antioxidant properties can prevent free radical damage and heal the skin from damage caused by environmental issues.
- To use lavender essential oil for ringworm in children and adults, mix it with carrier oils first. The best carrier oils include undiluted Jojoba oil, sweet almond oil, coconut oil or avocado oil.
- Mix 5-10 drops of lavender oil in a tablespoon of any of the above carrier oils.
- Apply the mixture to the ringworm lesions on the underarms, arms, legs, toes, groin or other areas where the ringworm lesions may be present. Do not cover the area; let it dry naturally.
- Repeat application 3-4 times a day. The oil heals, soothes and prevents itchiness, inflammation and redness.
- You can also add 8-10 drops of the oil to your bathwater and soak in it.
- To make a skin nourishing cream to prevent future ringworm outbreaks, mix 10 drops of lavender oil with 1 ounce of Aloe Vera gel. This treatment rapidly heals the skin and prevents dryness, irritation and itching.
Oregano Essential Oil for Ringworm and Recipes
This essential oil is known to enhance the healing of the skin. On this score it is perfect to treat ringworm. It has powerful anti-fungal properties which are able to fight yeast and Candida.Oregano essential oil is one of the few essential oils that contain antiparasitic properties which prevent parasites from invading the body. It also has strong antibacterial and antiviral attributes.
It is reported that in some cases oregano essential oil has worked as well as some commercial antifungal and antibiotics. Carvacrol an active ingredient in oregano essential oil is effective at killing fungus in the body. Use this essential oil topically for ringworm and you will see change quite rapidly. Always dilute this oil with a carrier oil because if you do not you could irritate your skin extensively.
- Diffuse the essential oil around the house, especially while sleeping.
- You can use it as a mouthwash if you have fungal infection around the inner cheek, lips or tongue. It is a natural remedy for bad breath. Avoid taking oregano oil internally as it is very strong and can cause some burning and tingling sensation.
- Mix oil of oregano with Jojoba, almond or coconut oil and apply it to the ringworm on the body. Repeat application every 5-6 hours.
Essential Oils for Scalp Ringworm
Cassia bark or Cinnamon Essential Oil for Scalp Ringworm:
It is said this is one of the best essential oils to use for the dreaded scalp ringworm. Let’s face it no one likes to have bald spots checkering their scalps.
Cassia Bark has above average antibacterial and antifungal properties which can kill fungus and bacteria trying to enter the body Do not ever touch cinnamon essential oil directly it can burn your skin. If you use only one drop in bath water make sure you dilute that bath water quite extensively.
- Add it to your diffusers to clear bacteria and fungi present in the air
- To use it for scalp ringworm, mix 1 drop of pure cinnamon oil with ½ a cup of coconut or olive oil. Massage it into the scalp at night. Cover and leave overnight or for 8 hours. Wash off with antifungal shampoo the next day.
Tea tree oil (Melaleuca) for scalp ringworm:
This is another top essential oil to use to treat scalp ringworm but it needs to be used non-stop for 24 hours to really be effective.
- It is readily available in shampoos which you can use 2 times a week to prevent and treat fungal infections of the scalp.
- You can use the diluted tea tree oil mixed with sandalwood essential oil to kill toe fungal infections or Athlete’s Foot.
- Mix the two oils (sandalwood and tea tree oil) with some cornstarch powder and put the mixture inside your socks to heal fungal infections of the feet. Here are some other ways to use Melaleuca or tea tree essential oil for quick ringworm cure:
- Diffuse it in the air to kill fungal spores
- Add 5 drops to your favorite shampoo to reduce dandruff
- Gargle with diluted oil to cure thrush and tongue fungus
- Apply directly to infections like Candida and yeast.
- Mix 50 drops of tea tree oil, 30 drops of Palmarosa oil with 3 drops of cassia or cinnamon bark oil. Soak toenails with fungus in the above mixture for 30-60 minutes.
Other Oils to Use:
- Oil of nutmeg– Add essential oil of nutmeg to salves to treat skin infections like eczema, psoriasis and ringworm.
- Clove essential oil- This herb ranks number 1 in the world for its antioxidant and antibacterial properties. It is the most powerful disinfectant available. It can kill Candida.
- Rosemary essential oil- Mix this oil with coconut oil and rub it on the feet to cure Athletes Foot.
Essential oils for ringworm in cats:
The following blend of essential oils cured incurable ringworm in cats, as seen in this study:
- 5% Oregano essential oil plus 5% oil of Rosemary plus 2% essential oil of wild Thyme diluted in sweet almond oil. Apply the mixture to the infected cat
There is proof that tea tree is very good at treating ringworm. There have been research projects conducted showing that tea tree essential oil has decent antibacterial, antifungal, and antibacterial capabilities.
Combine three drops of oil of oregano and two drops of tea tree oil with a small amount of coconut oil. It’s best to mix and store these ingredients in a glass bottle. Also, make sure to choose high-quality, therapeutic grade essential oils. You can apply the mixture two to three times per day.
Marvelous Myrrh Essential Oil for Ringworm
Alternate Recipe method for Myrrh
Combined with a carrier oil like coconut oil, it’s another option for treating ringworm if you already have it on hand or perhaps prefer its aroma to tea tree or oregano. Simply combine a couple of drops of myrrh essential oil with coconut oil and apply it a couple of times per day.
Tips to preventing Ringworm:
- Keep all personal items for your own personal use. Do not let others use them
- Don’t wear heavy clothes that don’t breathe for eternity. Especially in humid environments
- If your pet has ringworm get them to the veterinarian as soon as you can.
- Find out preventive measures to avoid ringworm. Teach them to your children
Neem Essential Oil:
This is a unheard of essential oil to treat ringworm. Bt it is effective and an cure ringworm very quickly. This like most essential oils should never be taken internally. You just don’t know how it could damage your body internally.
Neem oil is taken from the parent neem tree. This plant can be found in India where it has been used for centuries to heal various illnesses, diseases and other skin conditions. This oil contains many strong acting compounds that can benefit the body immensely. India discovered in 2003 that Neem possesses antifungal properties which were able to kill the growth of the harmful bacteria and other disease-carrying germs. It is useful in fighting many skin conditions such as ringworm, jock itch, athlete’s foot and a host of other bacteria-causing skin infections and diseases.
- For topical use, dilute five drops of neem oil with one teaspoonful of jojoba oil.
- Store the mixture in a sealed glass jar. Shake well and apply the oil using a cotton pad on the affected area. Repeat this thrice daily and continue for three weeks
- The infection should clear up within the first ten days.
Lemongrass Essential Oil:
It has its origins in a legendary therapeutic plant that grows in Southeast Asia. It is legendary in its treatment of ringworm and is one of the best essential oils to us in treatment of that skin condition.
Its medicinal characteristics are it can fight foreign harmful bacteria in the body. It is also a fighter of harmful parasites that may try to enter the body These properties consist of such active ingredients as of terpenes, aldehyde, ketones and esters. Research has shown that that Lemongrass oil will kill the growth of ringworm fungi, which stops it from progressing to other parts of the body. It is very efficient in its function and it has no side effects. It is very safe to us on the skin.
- Dilute six drops of lemongrass oil with one teaspoonful of carrier oil.
- Rub a thin layer of the mix over the affected area.
- Repeat up to three to four times daily for the next weeks.
Peppermint Essential Oil:
Peppermint oil is one of the most versatile oils available because it has so many health benefits it can treat a wide spectrum of health issues. You really cannot go wrong applying this into ringworm it can dissolve it from your skin.
- Before using peppermint oil for ringworm treatment, dilute it with a suitable carrier oil. Apply it on the affected area several times daily.
- 4 drops of lemon oil
- 4 drops of lavender oil
- 4 drops of thyme oil
- 10 drops of oregano oil
- 10 drops of rosemary oil
- Sweet Almond or olive oil (as the carrier oil)
- Mix the essential oils before adding the carrier oil. Apply the blend on the affected area up to three times daily. This will help soothe the itchy, dry and inflamed skin.
- 2% of thyme oil
- 5% of rosemary oil
- 5% of oregano oil
- Mix these ingredients with a carrier oil and massage onto the affected area.
I was enjoying my cat sitting on my lap when the dog decided to get into the act. The dog barked a the cat and the cat nervously jumped from my lap and clawing my inner thigh. She goes on to say she forgot about the claw mark. That is until a few days later she noticed a red circular patch in that area.
She concluded it was ringworm and went to the dermatologist for a diagnosis. The demonologist confirmed her original suspicion that it was ringworm. She immediately went to the pharmacy and bought a prescription that she really should not have bought. The prescription was too strong for her skin.
She refused to put it on her skin so she used some Thieves essential oil instead and it cleared the ringworm up quickly. This was a good thing as she was leaving for a trip to Costa Rica shortly. She was relieved that the essential oil had cured up the ringworm so effectively. Next Time she will turn to essential oils to cure her ringworm instead of buying expensive prescriptions she will not use anyway.
It is evident that essential oils can help to treat ringworm and scalp ringworm. They will even work on a cat that contracts ringworm. There was a testimony quoted that a lady got rid of her ringworm in 3 days using Thieves essential oil. Chalk up another great benefit for essential oils. The lady almost said it was a miracle that the oil cleared up the condition so quickly. She seemed to be caught off guard that it would work so efficiently and quickly. Apparently essential oils are good natural remedies to use to get rid of ringworm.
So, if you do contract ringworm do not worry because there are plenty of essential oils out there to help you treat it. Some of them will get rid of ringworm in as litle as 3 days. You can also take preventive measures to keep from getting ringworm as well. Stay out of public showers as much as you can. If you have pets be careful to check to see that they do not have symptoms of ringworm. On cats specifically they will develop bald spots around their ears. If you see these bald spots around their ears take them to the vet. They have ringworm and you can contract it from you cat.