How can you share 16 mind blowing facts about low carb diets? I mean low carb diets are low carb diets aren’t they? They are very healthy for you to say the least. One cardiologist for ten long years hesitated in recommended low carbohydrate high fat diets to his patients. He was afraid of the negative effects he perceived they would have on the health of his patients. He treats overweight people who have cholesterol and heart issues. Like many of his colleagues he thought these diets would result in higher cholesterol and increased heart disease in the patients. But over the last ten years scientific research has shown that these types of diets really are beneficial and healthy for people to eat. He has changed his way of thinking and now he heartily recommends these types of diets to all his patients. He said that he has seen very positive effects over the years in his patients. Their hearts are healthier and their cholesterol levels have fallen. So here is an eye-opening fact for you about low cholesterol diets.
- 1 1) Lose Poundage
- 2 2) Blood Sugar will Benefit
- 3 3) High Blood Pressure Buster
- 4 4) Triglycerides are Lowered
- 5 5) HDL Cholesterol Will Say Hello
- 6 6) Unheard of Benefit LDL Particle Size Altered
- 7 7) LDL Particle (LDL-P) Numbers Will Shine
- 8 8) Insulin Resistance Reduced
- 9 9) High Insulin Levels Don’t Stand a Chance
- 10 10) C-Reative Protein Can Be Reduced
- 11 11) Burst That Appetite Balloon
- 12 12) Shatter Metabolic Syndrome
- 13 13) Possible Cures for Harmful Brain Disorders
- 14 14) May Reverse Type 2 Diabetes
- 15 15) Don’t Smell Those Sweets
- 16 16) Still That Stomach
- 17 Practical Ways to Apply Low Carb Diets
- 18 Eggs and Vegetables, Fried in Coconut Oil
- 19 Grilled Chicken Wings With Greens and Salsa
- 20 Bacon and Eggs
- 21 Ground Beef With Sliced Bell Peppers
- 22 Cheeseburgers Without The Bun
- 23 Fried Pieces of Chicken Breast
- 24 Fake Meat-Based Pizza… Meatza
- 25 Crispy Carnitas
- 26 Think About It
1) Lose Poundage
Scientific studies have shown that low carbohydrate diets will help you lose fat. It depends on how aggressive the person is in getting rid of sugar and carbs as to how much weight you will lose. It varies from person to person but the main point is that the low carb diets will help you lose weight. The plus is if you are prone to heart disease and you are overweight this is great news for you. Scientific studies have shown these diets will help you to lose weight. These are tried and proven studies not just some folklore tales from ages past. You can trust these conclusions because the results were tested and finalized under controlled scientific conditions.
2) Blood Sugar will Benefit
Again, studies have shown that low carbohydrate diets will reduce blood sugar levels. Specifically, fasting glucose and glycated hemoglobin. This is great news for those who suffer from diabetes or are in the prediabetes stage. Another benefit is those with metabolic syndrome (a cluster of biochemical and physiological irregularities connected with the appearance of cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes) will be helped as well. People with this condition normally have diabetic or prediabetic issues.
3) High Blood Pressure Buster
Another amazing benefit of low carb diets is that can help reduce high blood pressure. High blood pressure can be a deadly killer. It has been linked that high blood pressure is a high risk factor for heart disease and stroke. So the next step is to get your blood pressure lowered so by switching over to a low carb diet, So the logical step is to lower blood pressure which in turn will reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease. Studies have shown that low carb diets will reduce the blood pressure levels in people who are overweight.
4) Triglycerides are Lowered
Another important benefit of low carb diets is that triglycerides in blood levels are reduced. Triglycerides when found in high amounts in the blood increases the risk of cardiovascular disease sharply. High serum glyceride levels have been shown to have several deadly side effects. They are:abnormal lipoprotein metabolism, as well as with other risk factors including obesity, insulin resistance, diabetes mellitus, and lowered levels of HDL cholesterol. Research has found that lower triglyceride levels can be attained by carbohydrate restriction. Studies involving overweight men have concluded that lower carbohydrate intake will lower weight significantly and reduce triglyceride levels as well. There abdominal fat was reduced by 20%. The studies were conducted over a 12 week period on males suffering from obesity. Apparently, there are some super benefits derived from low carb diets.
5) HDL Cholesterol Will Say Hello
HDL cholesterol is inversely related to coronary heart disease and other cardiovascular diseases both in men and women. The bottom line is this type of cholesterol found in your system in low levels can be fatal. There is a definite risk for cardiovascular complications but low carb diets can help with this issue as well. Carbohydrate restriction has been shown to improve the HDL cholesterol levels. These studies involved about 1142 people with obesity factors and the carbohydrate restriction lowered their stomach fat as well. These factors were reduced as well: body mass index, systolic blood pressure, diastolic blood pressure, plasma triglycerides , fasting plasma glucose , glycated haemoglobin, plasma insulin, and plasma C-reactive protein, as well as an increase in high-density lipoprotein cholesterol. These results were found to materialize for a short period of time but the long term health effects are unknown.
6) Unheard of Benefit LDL Particle Size Altered
This seems to be a new benefit revealed. But low carb diets can change the size of LDL (Low-density lipoprotein is one of the five major groups of lipoprotein.) which can lead to awesome health benefits. Lipoprotein come in four different sizes (densities) very low-density, intermediate-density lipoprotein, low-density lipoprotein, and high-density lipoprotein. The problem arises when a person has LDL-C particles that are mainly small and dense their risk for coronary disease becomes three times greater. A person with large and fluffy LDL-C particles are actually at a lower risk for heart disease. These larger particles seem to be protective against cardiovascular disease. Studies indicate carbohydrate restriction positively affects particle size by reducing the number of very small and small LDL particles.
A lot of the benefits found so far in low carb diets are beneficial for obese and overweight people who naturally have a higher risk of developing diabetes or cardiovascular disease because of their high cholesterol and blood sugar levels. These low carb diets are another way to combat these two potentially deadly conditions. Diabetes can be very harmful if left untreated. Low carb diets are good news for people suffering from obesity. The other plus about the benefits discussed so far is that they are supported by clinically proven studies. These studies have shown real life effects on obese people when their carbohydrate were restricted.
7) LDL Particle (LDL-P) Numbers Will Shine
Studies have suggested that LDL-P in high numbers in the blood can cause a greater chance of the person developing cardiovascular disease. Some studies indicate that LDL-P may be a stronger predictor of risk than the commonly used LDL-cholesterol. LCHF diets appear to significantly reduce LDL-P.
8) Insulin Resistance Reduced
Insulin resistance is a common factor in people who have metabolic syndrome and it is also strongly related to an abnormal lipid profile. Unfortunately, there seems to be strong evidence for the connection between insulin resistance and cardiovascular disease. Low carb diets have been shown to reduce the risk of the body resisting insulin.
9) High Insulin Levels Don’t Stand a Chance
When there is high levels of insulin in the blood, there are two risks involved. The insulin is being rejected by the body and this will increase the risk for heart disease. Low carb diets will help to reduce the levels of insulin thereby reducing the risk for a heart attack or heart disease. Low carb diets are much more effective in reducing insulin levels than low fat diets will. Another fact is low carb diets will decrease insulin levels significantly.
10) C-Reative Protein Can Be Reduced
C-reactive protein or CRP can be measured in the blood and it has been known to form inflammation in the body. CRP may also be associated with heart disease and specifically, high-sensitive CRP has been known to increase the development of cardiovascular disease. There is evidence that low carb diets may reduce C-reactive protein in the blood. Low carb diets are turning out to be super healthy diets. Low carb diets are not inflated diets that boast of false health benefits but their claims are supported by clinical evidence where researchers actually controlled their subjects eating patterns over weeks not just hours. The extended timeframes had to be incorporated to authenticate that the low carb diets were really impacting the health of the overweight subjects. Time and time again the low carb diets reduced the risk of cardiovascular disease and helped to reduce the effects of diabetes where applicable.
11) Burst That Appetite Balloon
People will naturally give up on dieting because they get to hungry from not eating enough food. They go through terrible hunger pains and throw their diets out the window. Low carb diets will solve this problem because when people eat low carb it automatically leads to appetite reduction. People who eat low carb will eat more proteins and fat thus decreasing the need to intake more calories.
12) Shatter Metabolic Syndrome
There are 5 symptoms of metabolic syndrome:
- Abdominal obesity
- Elevated blood pressure
- Elevated fasting blood sugar levels
- High triglycerides
- Low HDL levels
So, guess what? Low carb diets have been known to fight all five of these symptoms which means it could eventually cure this harmful syndrome.
13) Possible Cures for Harmful Brain Disorders
Very low carb/ketogenic diets are under study as potential ways to cure such brain disorders including alzheimer’s disease and parkinson’s disease. This could be very significant in the treatment of future brain disorders.
14) May Reverse Type 2 Diabetes
According to modern high quality studies, low carb diets will reverse type 2 diabetes. The logic behind this is that diabetes comes from our bodies having too high of blood sugar levels. This comes from eating too many carbohydrates so reduce the carbohydrates then the blood sugar levels decrease. Type 2 diabetes then will disappear from the body. This is an extremely eye-popping health benefit to say the least.
15) Don’t Smell Those Sweets
Low carb diets consumed without sweeteners will leave you satisfied and will kill any cravings for sugar you have.
16) Still That Stomach
Low carb diets are known to calm people’s stomachs. There is less gas, diarrhea, and stomach cramps but the only drawback is chances for constipation is increased.
Practical Ways to Apply Low Carb Diets
Eggs and Vegetables, Fried in Coconut Oil
Ingredients: Coconut oil, Spinach, Frozen Vegetable Mix (carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, green beans) and Spices.
- 1. Add coconut oil to frying pan and turn up the heat.
- 2. Add vegetables. In my case, I use a frozen mix so I need to let it thaw in the heat for a few minutes.
- 3. Add eggs (I use 3 or 4).
- 4. Add spices. I use a spice mix, although salt and pepper work great too.
- 5. (Optional) Add spinach.
- 6. Stir fry until ready.
Grilled Chicken Wings With Greens and Salsa
Ingredients: Chicken Wings, Spices, Some Greens, Salsa.
- 1. Put spice on chicken wings (I use a chicken spice mix).
- 2. Insert into oven, heat at 180-200°C (356-392°F) for about 40 minutes.
- 3. Grill until wings are brown and crunchy.
- 4. Serve with some vegetables and salsa.
Bacon and Eggs
Ingredients: Bacon, Eggs.
- 1. Add bacon to pan, fry until ready.
- 2. Put the bacon on a plate, fry a few eggs (I use 3-4) in the bacon fat.
- 3. (Optional) If you want to add some flavor to the eggs, put a bit of sea salt, garlic powder and onion powder on them while frying.
Ground Beef With Sliced Bell Peppers
Ingredients: Coconut Oil, Onions, Ground Beef, Spinach, Spices and a Bell Pepper.
- 1. Cut an onion in little pieces.
- 2. Put coconut oil on pan, turn up the heat.
- 3. Add onion to pan, stir for a minute or two.
- 4. Add ground beef.
- 5. Add some spices (I use a spice mix, but salt and pepper work fine).
- 6. Add spinach.
- 7. (Optional) If you want to spice things up a bit, add some black pepper and chili powder.
- 8. Stir fry until ready, serve with a sliced bell pepper.
Cheeseburgers Without The Bun
Ingredients: Butter, Hamburgers, Cheddar Cheese, Cream Cheese, Salsa, Spices, Spinach.
- 1. Put butter on pan, turn up the heat.
- 2. Add burgers and spices.
- 3. Flip until close to being ready.
- 4. Add a few slices of cheddar and some cream cheese on top.
- 5. Turn down the heat and put a lid on the pan until the cheese melts.
- 6. Serve with some spinach. I like to pour some of the fat from the pan on top of the spinach.
- 7. To make the burgers even more juicy, add some salsa on top.
Fried Pieces of Chicken Breast
Ingredients: Butter, Chicken Breast, Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, Curry and Vegetables.
- 1. Cut chicken breast into small pieces.
- 2. Add butter to pan, turn up the heat.
- 3. Add chicken pieces.
- 4. Add a bunch of salt, pepper, curry and garlic powder.
- 5. Stir fry until the chicken gets a brown, crunchy texture.
- 6. Serve with some greens.
Fake Meat-Based Pizza… Meatza
Ingredients: Ground Beef, Salsa, Onions, Spice, Garlic Powder, Shredded Cheese and Bacon.
- 1. Cut onions into little pieces and bacon into small slices.
- 2. Mix ground beef, salsa, onions, spices and garlic powder at the bottom of a baking dish.
- 3. Add shredded cheese on top.
- 4. Spread bacon slices over the whole thing.
- 5. Insert into oven, heat at 180-200°C (356-392°F) for 30-40 minutes, until bacon and cheese look crunchy.
- 3 to 4 pounds boneless pork shoulder/butt cut into five pieces. You can trim off a little bit of the fat or leave it all on. (1.4 to 1.8 kg)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (7 ml)
- 1 teaspoon cumin (5 ml)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (5 ml)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, chopped or thinly sliced
- Water, for braising
- Preheat the oven to 350 ºF (177 ºC).
- Mix together the salt, cumin and chili powder and rub all over the meat.
- Place the meat in a large, heavy pot with the cinnamon stick, bay leaf, garlic and onion. Ideally, the pot is large enough so that the meat is in a single layer. Add enough water to almost, but not entirely, cover the meat.
- Put the pot in the oven, uncovered, and braise for 3 to 3 1/2 hours. Stir the meat just a few times while it cooks. You’ll know the pork is done when it’s really tender, slightly browned and most of the liquid is gone.
- Remove the pork from the oven. Put the meat on a cutting board and cut or shred it with your hands into thin strips.
- Remove the cinnamon stick and bay leaf from the pot. Add the shredded meat back to the pot and return it to the oven.
- Roast the meat, mixing occasionally, until the meat is as dark and crispy as you like it. (This process will go even faster if the meat is spread out on a roasting pan or baking sheet with any remaining liquid that was left in the pot. If time is tight, you can also put the meat under a broiler).
- If you’re making carnitas ahead of time, cook the meat for 3 hours until tender. The final crisping up in the oven can be done right before serving the meat.
- The entire cooking process for carnitas can also be done on a stovetop but the oven is a little easier. A slow cooker can also be used to cook the meat until tender (add only about 1/2 cup of water). The meat can then be transferred to the oven to brown.
Think About It
There you have it 16 amazing benefits of low carb diets that will help you to be encouraged if you are battling weight issues. We also listed some low carb recipes to help you to take steps to improve your health and get rid of the extra weight.