The bare faced natural look is gaining popularity with more and more women choosing to go makeup-free for a variety of reasons every day. And with a little effort every women can look far prettier without makeup than with it. But to get that healthy glowing look, you’ll need to have skin that’s in great shape and hair that’s healthy and shiny, along with a few tricks to put some natural color in your cheeks.
We’ve got 101 tips for you today that will help you to look fresh faced and fabulous.
1. Drink plenty of water – This is the most important tip in this list, if you want great looking skin you have to keep it hydrated. And maximum skin hydration comes from the inside, not from creams that you apply to your skin – that type of hydration is still important but nowhere near as important as drinking water. Not drinking enough water will make your skin look dry and dull and older. Supermodel Naomi Campbell issued this dictum to her contestants on The Face
“Do not waste my time, you just have to listen. By the way I want you to drink lots, lots of water. Hydration… water, water, water…”. Aim to drink at least 8 glasses of pure water each day.
2. Don’t use soap on your face – Unless it’s specially formulated from all natural ingredients that maintain your skin’s natural pH, soap will strip your face of it’s natural and protecting moisturising oil and this will do several things to your skin.
- Once the oil that maintains your skin’s naturally acidic pH is gone, microbes (they’re always on your skin) have free reign to cause problems – spots, rashes, patches of scaly skin.
- When you strip the oil from your skin your skin can over react and produce too much oil to compensate. This leaves you with greasy looking skin and makes you more prone to blocked pores, enlarged pores, blackheads and spots.
- Or your skin might not be able (due to inadequate nutrition) to produce enough oil to replace what was lost and you’re left with dry skin. None of this is a good look for your skin at any time and especially when you want to go makeup-free.
3. Moisturize with coconut oil – Unlike water based creams and lotions which only provide superficial moisturizing benefits, coconut oil’s medium chain fatty acids penetrate your skin to bring hydration and nourishment. Using coconut oil will not make oily skin any oilier, if anything it helps to correct the imbalance that’s at the root of too much sebum production.
4. Shrink pores – Blend strawberries with water, and then freeze in ice cube trays. Once frozen, rub the fruity cube over your face for instant pore shrinking.
5. Clear up acne – Following on from coconut’s tremendous moisturizing properties, it can also get to work and clear up acne. Coconut oil is anti-microbial, meaning it will nuke the bacteria on your skin that are causing the eruptions. And as it’s an anti-inflammatory coconut oil will soothe and diminish the redness making your acne look better fast. Coconut oil’s ability to penetrate into skin pores means it can kill the Propionibacterium acnes bacteria down deep where it’s causing all of the trouble.
6. Keep a humidifier in your bedroom – Home heating and air conditioning pull moisture out the air and dry air in turn pulls moisture out of your skin. When you’re sleeping you’re not able to drink water to help combat the effects of dry air. Using a humidifier helps to prevent overnight skin dehydration by maintaining the correct humidity level while you sleep.
7. Accessorize your hair – Even though you aren’t adding color to your face you can still brighten up your look with colorful hair accessories.
8. Get rid of dark circles under your eyes – Without under eye concealer, your dark circles have nowhere to hide, so you need to find a way to banish them. Use a green tea eye mask. Simply brew a cup of green tea using two tea bags and allow the tea bags to become saturated. Then remove them and place them on a plate to cool before placing over your eyes for 15 -20 minutes. The caffeine in the tea shrinks blood vessels and reduces the fluid retention in the tissues around the eyes while the tannins that give flavor and color to the tea will stimulate blood circulation and bring more oxygenated blood to the area to carry built up toxins away. The antioxidants in green tea further reduce the inflammation.
9. Exfoliate at night – Simple, light exfoliation will remove dead skin cells and reveal the fresh bright skin underneath. For normal skin,
10. Don’t drink alcohol – Alcohol dries out your skin and at the same time causes your face to bloat. Dry bloaty skin is not a good look.
11. Practice gratitude – And let your inner radiance shine through.
12. Keep your hands clean – Wash your hands before touching or applying treatments to your face. This keeps problem-causing bacteria away from your face.
13. Use a quick trick skin brightener – When your skin needs a boost, mix one egg white with one tablespoon of honey. Apply for mixture to your skin and wait 10 minutes before rinsing off.
14. Eat Avocado – The healthy fats in avocados, keep dull skin at bay. Use them on salads or eat them with your eggs at breakfast.
15. Use an ice bath – Add a few ice cubes to a bowl of cold water and immerse your face for as long as you can stand. This will reduce puffiness, firm skin and give you an amazing glow from your enhanced circulation bringing lots of restorative oxygen and skin repairing nutrients to your skin.
16. Stop eating sugar – Sugar is a monster when it comes to letting free radicals lose in your body. Free radicals age skin and cause inflammation. So for fresher, younger skin, skip the sugar.
17. Treat sunburned skin quickly – Use fresh aloe vera gel and 6 drops of lavender essential oil on sunburned skin, to reduce the inflammation and prevent your nose from peeling.
18. Grow your hair – longer hair has tons more styling options that shorter hair, allowing to change your look to suit any occasion.
19. Smile – Smiling makes everyone look good, it brightens your entire face and makes your eyes sparkle. Smiling not only makes you look good, it also makes you feel good, and smiles are infectious. When you smile you’ll make others smile and feel good too.
20 Don’t scowl – Scowling will work in the exact opposite way to a smile. You’ll furrow your brow and purse you lips encouraging lines to form, you’ll upset other people, and no one ever won a beauty contest with a frown on their face. So turn that frown upside down pretty one 🙂
21. Get plenty of sleep – A bad night’s sleep or too little sleep will show on every inch of your face. From your bleary eyes to your downcast mouth. Sleep deprivation also causes your stress levels to rise which release unwanted hormones into your system – hormones that cause premature aging. Just look at every president that ever held office for proof of the aging effects of stress.
22. Treat thread veins – use a few drops of bergamot essential oil mixed with carrier oil to eradicate those unattractive little spidery threads.
23. Groom your eyebrows – Tidy up your eyebrows and sculpt them into the most flattering shape that enhances the rest of your features. Go to a salon for professional help to get the right look, then pay regular attention to your brows to maintain their appearance.
24. Moisturize your eyelashes – Just because you’re not using mascara it doesn’t mean that you can’t have luscious, peeper flattering lashes. Using mascara actually causes lashes to break off, so you’re ahead of the game if you stop using it. Moisturize each night with a touch of coconut or jojoba oil. Your lashes will be smooth and defined. And because they’re no longer breaking off halfway along their length, in a couple of weeks when your new eyelashes grow in you’ll have longer lashes too.
25. Curl those lashes – Add extra oomph to your new lashes with an eyelash curler.
26. Cut back on the carbs – When you eat too many carbs, your insulin levels rise, which can cause inflammation that shows up in your skin. Plus carbs are notorious for causing water retention and bloating which will also show up in your face.
27. Eat apricots – The vitamin A in apricots helps to reduce wrinkles and make skin glow.
28. Use Lemon and coconut oil – Taryn Manning revealed that she rubs lemon slices onto her face and then applies coconut oil before going to bed. The lemon juice works as a natural exfoliant and the coconut oil moisturizes and heals.
29. Exfoliate your lips – remove dry flaky skin from your lips to enhance your smile.
30. Don’t forget lip Balm – After you’ve whisked away the dead skin, give your lips a deep and nourishing treat with jojoba oil and mint essential oil. Jojoba oil is the oil that is closest to your skin’s natural makeup so it’s perfect to deliver lip plumping moisture to the ultra delicate skin on your lips. Mint essential oil is antibacterial to nix any tiny pimples and it gives a nice fresh taste to your lips for hours. If you suffer from cold sores use tea tree oil in your lip balm instead.
31. Exfoliate and moisturize dry skin with oats – Oats will gently lift away dead skin cells and moisturize your skin at the same time. Simply take a handful of oats and mix them to a paste with a little warm water in your hand, then gently rub over your face before rinsing off.
32. Drink warm water with lemon when you get out of bed – The lemon juice will help draw toxins from your body which helps skin to glow.
33. Take a Lysine supplement – L-lysine helps the synthesis of collagen which increases the strength of the hair and is necessary for firm supple skin.
34. Relax with a cold eye mask – Put a gel mask in the freezer to get nice and cold and then lie down and relax while it soothes inflammation and reduces puffy eyes fast.
35. Get a flattering haircut – Get a new hairstyle from a good stylist to make the most of your features and to instantly take off the years.
36. Go back to your natural hair color – Nothing works as well to compliment your natural fresh faced complexion than your natural hair color. Hair colors and peroxide make you look washed out without any makeup to compensate – especially when you’re older.
37. Remove stains on your teeth – Use a natural toothpaste alternative to clean away the coffee stains. Just dip a moist toothbrush into a small amount of baking soda and brush. If you don’t like the taste, add a drop of peppermint oil to your brush.
38. Snack on watermelon – Since this fruit is pretty much all water, this snack is an excellent ( and low calorie) way to hydrate your skin while getting some important nutrients. Watermelon is a good source of
- Vitamin-A, which is a powerful natural antioxidant
- anti-oxidant flavonoids like beta-carotene lycopene – lycopene has been shown to offer some protection from harmful UVA rays
- potassium; potassium is an important component of cell and body fluids that helps controlling heart rate and blood pressure
- Vitamin C which helps the immune system and scavenges harmful oxygen-free radicals
39. Eat strawberries – They are packed with vitamin C and they’re so tasty!
40. Get a safe sun tan – very lightly tanned skin looks amazing, with a beautiful golden glow. And a little skin exposure will help you manufacture the natural vitamin D that your body needs to stay healthy.
41. Fake it – When the sun isn’t shining, make a natural self tanner with tea. Brew a small bowl of tea using 5 tea bags. Let them steep while the tea cools. Once it’s ready use your fingertips to apply the liquid to your face. Let it dry then apply more if you want a deeper tan.
42. Include seaweed in your diet – seaweed is absolutely jam packed with skin enhancing nutrition and it’s a powerful detoxer too, with the ability to pull environmental toxins from your body.
43. Use a seaweed mask – With it’s powerful detoxification properties, seaweed is the perfect choice for a rejuvenating, anti-aging face mask and it nourishes and moisturizes skin at the same time.
44. Prevent eye strain – Eye strain makes eyes look tired and bloodshot. Use flux for your laptop and tablet to get the optimal brightness and hue for healthier eyes. Change the default background color of your documents to save your eyes while you work on them – different colors work for different people, light green and light grey are both good choices, experiment to find your eye soothing background. If you spend a lot of time working at a screen you’ll notice the difference in eye comfort pretty much immediately.
45. Use eye brightening drops – when you’ve had a light night and your eyes are bloodshot use an optician-approved brand of eyedrops to perk them up. This isn’t recommended for frequent use so the less late nights the better.
46. Boost your circulation – Use finely ground coffee to make a facial scrub. Just take a teaspoon of coffee and mix it with a little water or coconut oil and rub over your skin gently before rinsing off. The caffeine in the coffee works wonders for a quick boost to your skin.
47. Eat salmon – It’s a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential for skin health and a firm, radiant complexion.
48. Use a papaya mask – Mix mashed papaya with two tablespoons of milk and one tablespoon of honey for a nourishing and refreshing mask that will revive dull looking skin.
49. Use a muslin cloth to exfoliate – No pastes to mix up and clean off, just gentle circular motions with damp muslin to remove the dead skin cells, which make skin look tired.
50. Use a vitamin C serum – Vitamin C is a potent antioxidant and collagen booster. Just mix 1/2 teaspoon Vitamin C powder (ascorbic acid) with 1 tablespoon distilled water and keep it in a dark airtight bottle. Use your fingertips to massage a small amount into your skin each day.
51. Splash cold water on your face – Do this anytime during the day that your skin looks like it could use a boost. The cold water increases circulation for a healthy blush.
52. Use SPF every day – Use a good quality sunscreen to protect your skin from the premature wrinkles caused by sun damage.
53. Use oil to cleanse oily skin – Oils like coconut oil or jojoba oil make wonderful cleansers for oily skin and they unclog blocked pores. Don’t worry, they won’t make your skin greasy, instead they’ll help to restore normal oil production in your skin so you can say goodbye to greasy, spotty skin for good.
54. Exfoliate oily skin with a sugar scrub – mix one teaspoon sugar, half a teaspoon honey and a squeeze of lemon juice. Rub over your skin then rinse off.
55. Drink at least one green juice a day – Look for juices that contain vitamin packed leafy greens and antioxidant rich dark berries for optimal brightening effects.
56. Cook food with olive oil – It’s chock full of antioxidant vitamins that give you fabulous skin from within.
57. Stand up straight – Good posture makes everyone look healthier and younger.
58. Wear complimentary colors – It doesn’t matter what this season’s hot color is, you need to stick with the colors that actually suit your skin tone. Get help from an honest friend, an in-store consultant or a color matching app to figure out the colors that will make you look amazing.
59. Whiten your teeth – perk up your smile with a natural tooth whitener. Take a tablespoon of coconut or other oil and pop it into your mouth then swoosh and swish it around. It pulls toxins from your mouth, restores dental health, and brightens your pearly whites.
60. Exercise – exercise improves blood flow and helps to get your lymphatic system working at a more optimum rate. Properly functioning lymph is necessary to flush the toxins and wastes from every cell in your body and when that happens your skin will glow with health.
61. Wear sunglasses – Keep the delicate skin around your eyes shielded from aging UV rays by wearing a pair of stylish sunglasses. Also great if in spite of your best efforts your eyes are bleary, puffy or bloodshot.
62. Fish oil – Take a daily fish oil supplement, to support optimal skin health and watch skin develop a natural glow.
63. Twice weekly facial massage – Give yourself a facial massage with your favorite natural oil a couple times a week, to help increase circulation so your skin looks its best
64. Increase your intake of vitamin C – whether it’s from foods or from an ascorbic acid supplement, vitamin C supports so many processes that are vital to your skin’s health. It’s super important for all round good health and if you keep ascorbic acid on hand, mega doses will knock out the flu in 24 hours flat. No one looks pretty when they’re full of flu.
65. Switch your towel – Dry your face with a microfiber towel. A regular towel can be too rough for your face.
66. Make sure your towel is clean – towels harbor bacteria that can cause eruptions on your face, so make sure you change your towels daily.
67. Pinch or pat – Give your cheeks a quick pinch or gentle pat to add some natural color to your look anytime you feel like it.
68. Wear reflective jewelry – Use shiny silver and gold to reflect some more light onto to your face and make your eyes sparkle.
69. Pimp your hair – frame your face with glossy, healthy hair. Use a deep moisturizing olive oil or coconut oil hair mask to add deep shine.
70. Get frizz under control and fix split ends – Use Argan oil, which is light and fully absorbed without leaving a greasy residue, to tame frizz and fix split ends. Well behaved hair is always a good look.
71. Don’t rub your eyes excessively – you’ll make your eyes red and encourage wrinkles. If you’re tired, drink some water or go to bed. If you’re eyes are strained, use some eye drops and take a break from the screen.
72. Stop chewing on your nails – bitten down nails and ragged cuticles are a no no, so stop it.
73. Brush teeth twice a day – Good dental hygiene is a must for an attractive smile, and don’t forget to floss that leftover lunch from your teeth.
74. Reevaluate your wardrobe – Go for well fitted clothes and avoid following fashion trends that don’t work on you.
75. Bunk the junk food – all that sugar, all those additives – just say no.
76. Eat fresh fruits – Fresh fruits, especially berries are rich sources of antioxidants that you need in your diet.
77. Wear amazing perfume – like the unmatched white mint and jasmine from Jo Malone. When you smell good you’ll feel good and that will show through in your happy smiling face.
78. Don’t forget your hands – remember to moisturize to tackle dried out tough skin on your hands.
79. Get a manicure – keep your nails in fine form with a professional manicure, and at home treat them to a conditioning treatment with olive or coconut oil.
80. Listen to music – that you love as often as you can each day – your favorite tunes will energise you, decrease your stress levels and put a smile on your face. Music is a touch of magic for your entire being and that juju makes you look just sensational.
81. Get some fresh air – Don’t sit at your desk or hog a table at the coffee shop during your lunch break. Go outside and take a walk in some invigorating fresh air. The fresh air will perk you up, making you look wide awake and the gentle exercise will get your blood flowing and give you a rosy glow.
82. Make a rejuvenating face spray – Mix one cup of water, three tablespoons of almond oil, and one capsule vitamin E into a spray bottle, for a refreshing face spray any time of the day.
83. Drink green tea – green tea is bursting with antioxidants, making it the perfect hot beverage for glowing skin.
84. Draw impurities out – Use a weekly deep cleansing mask. Mix a tablespoon of bentonite clay with a enough water to make a paste, then smooth on and leave to dry. Bentonite clay is one of the best cleansing masks you can use and it’s 100% natural and safe.
85. To reduce the appearance of wrinkles – Mix 6 drops of frankincense essential oil and 1 tablespoon of warmed coconut oil. Apply to wrinkles and leave it to soak in, no need to rinse off.
86. Send pimples packing – spot treat pimples with tea tree oil. Just use a drop of tea tree oil on a Q tip and apply to your spots, to quickly clear them up.
87. Be a dandruff free zone – Get rid of greasy scales ruining your look, with a simple tea tree oil and jojoba oil dandruff buster Mix 6 drops of tea tree oil into 2 tablespoon of jojoba oil and work into your scalp. The tea tree oil kills the fungus causing the dandruff.
88. Take up yoga – yoga improves blood flow to all areas of your body, clears blocked energy and reduces stress. It’s a super zen way to get flawless skin.
89. Use an over-the-counter retinol cream at night – It increases cell turnover, which helps to keep fresh skin cells at the forefront.
90. Aloe Vera moisturizer – Fresh aloe vera gel from the plant is the perfect way to reduce inflammation and hydrate irritated skin.
91. Snack on almonds – Get a protein rich snack (vital for healthy collagen) and load up on skin essential vitamin E at the same time.
92. Control excess sebum – Use a few drops of Ylang Ylang essential oil mixed in a tablespoon of carrier oil to normalize skin sebum levels.
93. Take a Coenzyme Q10 supplement – Help to prevent premature aging and improve the appearance of wrinkles with CoQ10. CoQ10 is regarded as one of the most accurate biomarkers of aging since its decline correlates so well with the aging process.
94. Use a vitamin C face mask – Mix two tablespoons of grapefruit juice, one teaspoon carrot juice and two tablespoons plain yogurt. Apply to your face for 15 minutes, and then rinse off.
95. Get rid of blackheads – Blackheads are enough to make anyone run for a tube of foundation.
The best way to remove them for good is to use a little tea tree oil. Tea Tree oil has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties and can penetrate into your skin where it disinfects blocked pores and dries out blackheads. Mix five drops of tea tree oil with one tablespoon of olive oil and apply to the problem area. Wait a few minutes then wipe off.
96. Add an adaptogen to your supplement regime – Adaptogens are incredible substances that work in very mysterious ways, but there is no doubt that they do work. Traditional Chinese Medicine has utilized them for millennia and now scientists are beginning to unravel a few of their mysteries. Adaptogens – like Ginseng – are able to normalise functions in your body and bring things back into balance. For example if a person with low blood pressure took an adaptogen their blood pressure would come up, while someone with high blood pressure would see theirs go down. Taking a daily dose of an adaptogen will help to bring balance to your body. You won’t only look healthy, you will be healthy.
97. Don’t forget to trim those nose hairs!
98. Stop spots in their tracks – When you see the telltale swelling under your skin, use a potato poultice to draw it. If you catch a spot before it becomes red the potato will usually make it vanish. Just grate a little raw potato, wrap it in gauze and fix it to your skin with first aid tape. Leave overnight and be spot free comemorning. Potato will quickly tackle already formed spots too.
99. Make a super moisturizing honey and avocado mask – Mash some avocado and mix it with a tablespoon of raw dark honey. Massage it over your face and leave it on for as long as you like before rinsing off with warm water.
100. Use an apple cider vinegar rinse on your hair – For soft, shiny, tangle free hair that isn’t weighed down and dulled by conditioner residue, switch to an apple cider vinegar rinse instead. Just mix four tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with eight ounces of water in a plastic squeeze bottle, spray bottle or other container and apply to your hair. Make sure that you don’t get it into your eyes, it will sting. Don’t worry, you won’t smell vinegary.
101. Know that you’re beautiful – because everyone is!